Godalming area birds

Godalming area birds

Pages

Tuesday 3 April 2018

Let the #nocmig begin

It’s been on the cards for a while, but last week I made the jump and invested in a (fairly basic) nocturnal-migration recording kit. Given my devotion to my patch, and immense fascination for bird migration, this was always going to happen at some stage.

I’ve found noc-mig extremely interesting throughout its rise in popularity in the UK during the last few years. I still struggle to believe the frequency with which Ortolans seem to move inland overnight – both Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire recorded their first ever Ortolans last year, and both were thanks to noc-mig.
Ortolan Bunting, Brake, Shetland, 11/10/2016

The tipping point personally was Matt’s Common Scoter over his house last month. Pulborough is less than 15 miles south of Thorncombe Street (as the Scoter flies), and this kind of mouth-watering species, that would never otherwise be recorded here, was more than enough motivation to get involved.

In Surrey terms, I know Wes is set to ride the wave, and it'll be interesting to see how our findings compare. It also seems I’ll be lucky enough to position the kit on a private bit of high land on the patch. Consequently, I’m massively excited to see what I can add to the migration picture, and (hopefully) pick up a new bird or two for the site. Let the noc-mig begin.