Godalming area birds

Godalming area birds

Pages

Thursday 18 February 2016

18th February

18th February

A later than normal start this morning, but it turned out to be the best patch outing of the year so far. Birds were everywhere, and the sheer quantities of the specialties, as well as the sunshine, made for a thoroughly enjoyable morning.

The first species noted once out the car was a Red Kite, and the spring-like conditions meant I had my highest tally of the year throughout the rest of the visit, with at least 5 birds around, including one that showed very well over the Ridge. Redwings were everywhere, their constant chatter serving as the background sound, and as I scanned the flock towards Slade's Farm I picked out a smaller bird perched on a fence surrounding a muddy field. It looked instantly like a Chat, and after watching it sally around (mobbed by a Pied Wagtail at one point) it became clear it was a female Stonechat. These birds are surprisingly scarce here - indeed, I only had 1 record in 2015. Perhaps I need to look harder. I soon found a second bird with it, and watched them for a few minutes before proceeding up the hill.
One of the Ravens over Winkworth today (M Phelps)

6 Red-legged Partridges were flushed, and before I had reached the Ridge I noted a female Brambling in the hedgerow. I later saw 2 more, with at least 50 Reed Buntings, 40 Chaffinches and 30 Goldfinches. Most notable in the flock, however, was the high number of Yellowhammers. Their calls were coming from everywhere, and there must have been at least 8, including some showy birds.

The weather meant raptors and corvids were in the sky in force. The Ravens were showing well, cronking and tumbling in the air, and I counted 10 Buzzards including 5 together over the Ridge. The former were touring the valley and Matt Phelps later got a picture of 1 of them over Winkworth. Later, 5 Greylags flew E and I could hear Teal from within Thorncombe Park as I headed back down the hill.